Okay…. confession time.
It was 9 pm.
Do you ever get a craving for a warm, gooey, chocolatey something right around this time?
If you are anything like me, you typically find yourself in your PJs, freshly- showered and washed face, in bed or curled up on the sofa reading a fabulous book, but the craving still remains. There is nothing to do but throw off the covers, flip on the lights in the kitchen, and wake up your Kitchen Aid Stand Mixer.
So, this happened to me the other night, and I made some Chocolate-chip Meringues, or Smoogies as they are called in my house. I nick-named them that for some unknown reason years and years ago. These are light, airy, crispy, chocolatey, and almost guilt-free. Whirr up a batch tonight! 🙂
- 2 egg whites, they will whip better at room temperature
- 2/3 cup sugar, superfine is best
- 1 tsp vanilla
- healthy pinch of salt
- 1/2-3/4 cup mini chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
2. Beat egg whites until frothy and foamy. Gradually add sugar slowly. Beat until stiff. Add vanilla and salt and beat some more. Fold in chocolate chips so as not to deflate the frothy goodness.
3. Plop by the rounded tablespoon onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake at 300 for 20-25 minutes.
*You can pipe like a swirly ice-cream cone (shown below) by simply snipping small hole in corner of Ziploc bag and using as a pastry bag!
So clever… why hadn’t I thought of that before?
Perfection! Light and airy perfection! I do love a good meringue.
So, tell me. What is your late-night craving?