We are talking mole today.
Have you ever had mole? It’s a traditional Spanish dish typically combining a tomato-based sauce with chiles, spices, nuts, seeds, and (are you ready for this?!?) chocolate!!! It is incredibly flavorful and delicious. But, can be quite time consuming and the list of ingredients can be a mile long and some of them you won’t find on the shelves of a conventional grocery store. So, this is Pulled Pork Mole simplified. Southern style, if you will. Serve it up warm with all the fixins at your next fiesta! It feeds a crowd and no one will leave hungry.
Easy Crockpot Pulled Pork Mole
(this recipe feeds 6 easily and calls for a 2 1/2 lb boneless pork butt or shoulder, but can easily be doubled or tripled depending on how many people you are feeding)
- 2 cups of your favorite prepared store-bought salsa
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 tablespoon sea salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 2 1/2 lb pork shoulder or butt roast
- Optionals for service: warmed corn or flour tortillas, sour cream, cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, jalapenos, lime wedges, chopped cilantro, olives, etc.
1. Stir together the prepared salsa with all the spices and cocoa powder. Pour some of the salsa mixture in the bottom of your slow cooker. Place the meat in a 4-6 qt. slow cooker and top with the remaining sauce. 2. Cook on high for 4-6 hours until the pork is cooked through and is easy to shred. 3. Remove the meat from the slow cooker, shred, and return to the sauce. Simmer until ready to serve. 4. Serve with warmed flour tortillas, cheese, sour cream, lettuce, tomatoes, onions, peppers, olives, etc. But my favorite topping? A fresh squeeze of lime and a tear of cilantro.
Mmmmm….. Making my mouth water just thinking about it.
And that’s how you mole.