Our sweet Sarah girl is getting married in January.
And we couldn’t be more thrilled!
So, in honor of her and Jim’s impending nuptials, we threw a Fall-themed Bridal Shower this past weekend for her, her family, and friends, and we had such a wonderful time doing so!
So, for the food. We served rather non-traditional shower fare mostly because Sarah doesn’t like it! Plus, this girl’s favorite season is fall & football season and any of these recipes would be just as delicious served at a tailgate party on a Saturday afternoon. As one of the party-goers said, “This is real Southern lady food”, as she skipped back through the buffet line for seconds.
My kind of girl. #soulmates.
What we served:
- Ham & Cheese Party Sandwiches with poppy seed dressing & sweet caramelized onions
- Spinach & Artichoke Dip with crackers
- Hot & Spicy Corn Dip with tortilla chips
- Veggie Tray with hummus dip
- Toffee Apple Dip
- Assorted Cake Pops, in Pumpkin & Red Velvet
- Hot Apple Cider, warmed in the crockpot
- Cranberry Champagne Cocktail
One of my duties was the Toffee Apple Dip. This has been a staple in my household since Cousin Carol brought it to the first Family Christmas weekend years and years ago. It’s simple, it’s delicious, and I have yet to meet a soul who doesn’t gobble it right up!
Toffee Apple Dip
- 1 block Cream Cheese, softened to room temperature
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/2- 3/4 cup of Toffee bits or finely chopped Heath Bar
- In a mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the cream cheese and brown sugar together until smooth & thoroughly combined and no longer gritty. Add the vanilla and mix.
- Fold in the toffee by hand so you don’t break up the little pieces too much.
- Serve with crisp sliced Granny Smith apples.
So, so good.
*Will keep in the refrigerator for up to 3 days, but best served the day of or the day after it is prepared.
For games, we played the “Don’t Say It” Ring game.
The easel instructs party guests to grab their favorite “diamond” ring and not to say the words “bride” or “wedding” and those that do, lose their ring! The lady with the most rings by the end of the party wins a prize!
Our winner turned out to be Carter, the 8 year old flower girl. Watch out for those young party-goers. They are incredibly sneaky.
And then we also played a quiz with 15 different famous & recognizable romantic movie quotes. I made a hand-out for each guest to fill out and then whoever guessed the most wins a prize!
You can get incredibly creative with this one, there is so many to choose from, but just to get your mind spinning in the right direction, I have listed one of my alltime favorites below…
“Well, it was a million tiny little things that, when you added them all up, they meant we were supposed to be together… and I knew it. I knew it the very first time I touched her. It was like coming home… only to no home I’d ever known… I was just taking her hand to help her out of a car and I knew. It was like… magic.”
– Sleepless in Seattle
But, as with any social gathering, the food and decor take second fiddle to the amazing company. The people certainly make the party, the laughter, and the fun. And this was no exception.
So, happy shower day sweet Sarah! We hope this season of life with its hustle and bustle and fun and frivolity is extra-special for you, because you are oh-so-extra-special to all of us!
Love you, precious friend.